Current Scope of Practice
Carlos A. Balido is a trial lawyer actively engaged in representing clients involved across the State of Texas in many areas of litigation including product liability, wrongful death, transportation and automobile litigation, personal injury and tort defense, construction defect, non-subscriber & ERISA claims, premises liability, first party insurance claims and business litigation.
- All North Texas counties
- Currently and previously handled cases in the Rio Grande Valley (Cameron, Duval, Hidalgo, Starr, Nueces and Webb counties)
- Central Texas (Bexar, Bell, Travis and McLennan counties)
- East Texas (Gregg, Marshall, Henderson, Panola and Smith counties)
- Trinity University, B.A., 1987
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D. 1990, (Order of Barristers)
- As lead attorney, successfully tried over 150 lawsuits during the past thirty plus years resulting in favorable results to the client.
- Admitted, State Bar of Texas, 1990
- U.S. District Court - all Districts in Texas
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Dallas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Dallas Hispanic Bar Association
- National Hispanic Bar Association
- Fluent in Spanish
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale - Hubbell
- Named to Legal Leaders Texas' Top Rated Lawyers list by Martindale-Hubbell for excellence in alternative dispute resolution and general practice
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters for 2004-2023, an honor bestowed on less than 5% of the practicing attorneys in the State of Texas.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2013 through 2023 Super Lawyers Business Edition (International)
- Rated Superb by Avvo®
- Selected as one of the "Best Lawyers in Dallas" 2011, 2015 - 2016, 2018 and 2021 by D Magazine (Tort: Personal Injury, Product and Medical Liability - Defense)
Current Litigation Matters
- Currently lead trial counsel representing international chemical manufacturer in product liability litigation arising out of the April 17, 2013 fire and explosion in West, Texas resulting in 15 deaths, hundreds of personal injuries and over $100 million in property damage.
- Currently defending several general contractors and sub-contractors in multiple statewide litigation involving claims of construction defects on various construction projects.
- Currently representing national food product manufacturer in multiple product liability cases involving damages resulting from contaminated products.
- Defending national retail chain in several premises liability/ERISA cases involving serious bodily injuries.
- Defending charitable organization in wrongful death nursing home liability case.
- Defending several insurance companies in first party bad faith claims, including several post-judgment Stowers claims.
- Defending multiple fatality and serious injury accidents involving commercial vehicles.
- Defending national manufacturer of hair removal devices in personal injury claims.
- Received a complete defense verdict while defending a commercial electrical contractor in construction defect case involving a fire at multi-million dollar condominium project.
- Received a complete defense verdict in a case involving a significant brain injury where the defendant was accused of driving while intoxicated.
- Received defense jury verdict in wrongful death UIM claim involving bad faith issues - Texas Supreme Court found in insurance company's favor that extra-contractual claims do not exist until issue of liability and damages are determined in underlying case Brainard v. Trinity Universal.
- Received a favorable jury defense verdict in a case against a distributor of liquid nitrogen which allegedly caused the loss of an eye to plaintiff.
- Successfully defended a pool contractor in a claim involving severe personal injuries while defeating an indemnity claim from the home warranty company - successfully defended the appeal by the home warranty company to the Texas 5th District Court of Appeals.
- Received a complete defense jury verdict in a severe personal injury claim against manufacturer of electro-mechanical switches.
- Achieved favorable resolution for commercial defendant in electrocution case.