Background and Current Law Practice
As soon as I could ride my bike across one of St. Petersburg, Florida’s busiest streets, I went to work. My first job was at Tyrone T.V. where I was the laborer carrying very heavy tube televisions up and down stairs as delivery or repair helper. At the same time, I started my own lawn mowing business which meant that I was mostly mowing sand and sand spurs rather than grass in my neighborhood on days with 90 degree temperatures and 100% humidity. I grew up in a 1500 square foot cinder block house 3 miles inland from St. Petersburg’s beautiful Gulf beaches. My dad was a career claims man for the Veteran’s Administration and my mom worked in retail. They taught me the value of education and hard work. In high school, I worked at a seafood market selling fish to retail customers and later I was a cashier at Costco. Both jobs taught me the skills of dealing with people, team work and customer service. I also ran a solo weather station at The Science Center where I developed an early interest in evidence, data, and factual investigations.
Leadership positions throughout high school and college on the basketball team, school newspaper, and campus government improved my writing and advocacy while honing the importance of team work. Work during college for a Texas State Senator and the United Way gave me a passion for community service and outreach.
Today, as the head of the firm’s Houston, Texas office, I handle matters involving trucking accidents, contract and business disputes, personal injury defense, products liability, premises liability, construction accidents and insurance coverage and property disputes. I have the privilege of being AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell which is recognition for the highest legal ability and ethical standards as evaluated by my peers. My greatest privilege is the trust shown by my clients allowing me and my team to represent them all across the State of Texas.
- Trinity University, B.A., 1989
- Texas Tech School of Law, J.D., 1992 (Order of Barristers)
- Admitted, Texas, 1992
- Member of the Insurance Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the Construction Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court - Texas
- Eastern District
- Northern District
- Southern District
- Western District
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- FELLOW, Litigation Council of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Member, Diversity Law Institute (LCA)
- Member, The Trial Law Institute (LCA)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Honors and Awards
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale - Hubbell
- Named to Legal Leaders Texas' Top Rated Lawyers list by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell for excellence in alternative dispute resolution and general practice.
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers for 2005, 2013 through 2018 by Thomson Reuters. An honor bestowed on less than 5% of the practicing attorneys in the State of Texas.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2014 through 2018 Super Lawyers Business Edition (International)
Recent Litigation Accomplishments
- Summary Judgment granted in employee on employee assault and sexual assault lawsuit on behalf of nation hotel chain.
- Summary Judgment granted in carbon monoxide poisoning death case against a national hotel chain.
- Defense verdict in slip and fall trial involving local grocery store and plaintiff jury demand in excess of $1 million.
- Cost of defense settlement of slip and fall death case on behalf of national fast food chain.
- No negligence jury finding in rear-end automobile personal injury suit.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of death case involving a national transportation carrier.
- Successfully prosecuted to verdict a commercial real estate breach of contract matter resulting in a large award to client.
- Resolved hypodermic needle-stick, fear of HIV and hepatitis case on behalf of national retailer.
- Defended international communications company in a multi-million dollar business interference, trade secret case.
- Nuisance value settlement of Federal Civil Rights and false imprisonment case involving local woman's apparel store.
- Obtained dismissal of computer privacy lawsuit against national electronics retailer.
- Obtained Federal Court dismissal of patent/trademark infringement lawsuit against commercial retail landlord.
- Summary Judgment granted in social host liquor liability lawsuit involving traumatic brain injury.
- Complete defense verdict in youth sports hazing/sexual assault case after 3 week trial.
Current Legal Matters
- Tried $110 million wrongful death case involving a 10 year old boy and reached favorable settlement during second day of jury deliberations.
- Defending general contractor in auto dealership construction defect matter.
- Defending defamation case arising out of construction dispute and on-line reviews.
- Defending window installer in 26 story condominium water intrusion case.
- Defending water sealant company in a multi-building mixed use development defect case.
- Defense verdict after a two week trial over flooding issues between landowners where plaintiffs sought $22 million.
- Defending facial glitter products liability suit.
- Defending first party property damage claims resulting from storm damage.
- Defending computer battery products claim involving fire.
- Defending construction contractor in failed plumbing case.
- Defending day care in neglect case.
- Defending national fast food chain in slip and fall accident.
- Defending intrastate motor carrier in catastrophic injury case.
- Defending commercial transportation wrongful death case.
- Defending commercial and personal lines carriers in multiple first party breach of contract, bad faith lawsuits arising from wind, hail, and flood property damage claims.